We belong to a local CSA, which we pick up from every week. So this week when B grabbed up some Butternaut Squash, I knew I wanted to make something fall esque and comforting. My first thought was just to roast it as a side, but the more I thought about it... the more I wanted to try a soup. It turned out to be everything I love in a soup, and I think this is a good "base" soup where you can experiment with different spices. This will definitely be on rotation in our house.
What you need :
- 1 Medium Onion (chopped)
- 2 Potatoes (peeled & chopped)
- 1 Medium Carrot (chopped)
- 1 Celery Stalk (chopped) - I did use leeks instead since we didn't have celery
- 1 Medium Butternaut Squash (chopped)
- 32oz Chicken Stock
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Any other spices you wish!
What to do:
- Melt butter in large pot
- Toss all chopped veggies into pot for 5 minutes
- Pour Chicken stock in (enough to cover the veggies)
- Bring to a boil
- Turn down heat, Cover, & Simmer for 40 minutes or until veggies are tender
- Pour soup into blender & Blend (do small batches, it's hot & can go EVERYWHERE)
- Pour back into Pot, and add additional chicken stock if needed
- Add seasonings to taste
- Garnish with Parsely & ENJOY!!!
Keeping it real....as I mentioned... do small batches.. it WILL go everywhere... and it's hot ( I have a burn mark to prove it!) DOH!