Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Chicken Enchilada Soup

 Yesterday B & I both had off for Columbus Day so we decided to use the day to tackle some things around the house.  It was very chilly and brisk yesterday and I also knew that we wouldn't want to stop what we were doing to have to make something for dinner.  Since it's now officially fall..and what I like to consider CrockPot season.... I decided to make a hearty soup for dinner, so I could do what I like to call throw & go.

So when I saw this recipe on Pinterest  I knew this was what was going to be for dinner.  The Chicken Enchilada Soup was definitely a winner and a keeper. We couldn't find cotja cheese, so we substituted queso fresco. And, we also used canned corn instead of frozen. We adapted the recipe for the crockpot, just basically chopping everything & throwing it all in the pot for about 5 hours, except the cheese. We then threw the cheese in with about an hour left to cook. The queso fresco didn't melt like I was expecting it to, but it still turned out super yummy. Next time I make it, I'm hoping to find the cotja cheese and use that.

This is definitely a reccommended recipe! And you could even omit the chicken and add more beans instead for a vegetarian option as well. It is a little on the spicer side as well but we like spicy!

No comments:

Post a Comment