This wonderful deliciousness... is made from Berger Cookies. Which are nothing short of amazingness... they are basically shortbread cookies dipped in delicious decadent chocolate. They are a Maryland Staple. There is also a shop in Federal Hill neighborhood of Baltimore that is called Dangerously Delicious and they are known for this pie. So I decided I needed to try and recreate it for our family cookout this past weekend using this recipe. And...yes... yes... imagine that... It was a HUGE hit!
What you Need:
- Unbaked Deep Dish Pie Crust (or if you want you can make your own)
- 1 1/2 packages of Berger Cookies
- 1/2 Cup Butter Softened
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 TBSP Cornmeal (flour, almond meal, etc)
- 1 TBSP Vinegar
- 1TSP Vanilla
What to Do:
- Chop up Berger Cookies and toss into pie crust
- Whisk all remaining ingredients together
- Pour the wet mixture (called Chess) over the Pie
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes
- It's best warm, but still delicious at room temperature as well
A few sidenotes, I added a little more vanilla to my pie, about 1 tsp. Also, don't forget to place your pie on a cookie sheet WITH edges... these pies will bubble over some.
I ended up making 2 of these, and there is nothing left....
run... do not walk to make this!